[pct-l] safety on the pct: Bring a man

Hiker Hawk hikerhawk at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 12:41:48 CST 2008

The best protection a woman can have while hiking is to bring a man.  The girl who was just killed in Georgia brought her dog, which didn't protect her.  A man is a much better choice, as most troublemakers can neutralize a dog or separate it from its master a lot easier than a man.

Also, most predators will not attempt an attack on a women in the presence of a man.  Too many things can, and will, go wrong if the psycho attempts something stupid with a man around.

Jana Bregman <jabregman at bellsouth.net> wrote: i am a college freshman and my friend (who is also college age) and I
want to hike a section of the PCT this summer for about 2 or 3 weeks.
We are having trouble convincing our moms that 2 girls will be safe
alone out on the trail.....what should we tell them?