[pct-l] safety on the pct

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 12:11:58 CST 2008

Morning L-Rod..............

I have to agree with you whole heartily about criminals being lazy. You also
need to add dumb into the mix. It takes a lot of planning just to survive on
the trail. Most criminals couldn't think that far ahead. There's nothing to
steal on the trail........there's no where to hide. It's a different class
of people that hike the PCT. You are definitely safer on the trail. To put
the class of people in a different perspective.........each season most of
the thru hikers stay *in* our home. Average 200 strangers each year. We have
had no problem with personal safety. Most of them look like wild eyed,
smelly, hairy scrawny homeless folks when they get here. You can't tell a
book (or hiker) by their cover (or smell). Judges, teachers, lawyers,
students, authors, artists and hikers that live most of every year on the
trail are the types you will find out here. Most we consider family....some
have come back to stay a while. Some have come back and helped Jerry on his
garage. Your worst enemy on the trail is YOU. HYOH.....prepare yourself
mentally and physically....and don't think you are invincible. Mother Nature
will beat you at your own game.

PCT MOM