[pct-l] safety on the pct

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sat Jan 12 11:30:38 CST 2008

from Switchback's Super secrets of Backpacking: "Neck cord = I carry a
whistle, chap-stick, small knife, etc. This is very convenient."

Switchback has a good idea here about carrying your whistle on a neck
cord (necklace). I will add a compass. These are items that should
always go with you. Both of the times I was lost -- once in Sequoia NP
and once in a regional park in the fog, I did NOT have a compass. Then I
bought a second compass and it stays in my day pack in addition to the
one always in my backpack. I got a loud whistle from REI too, after
Pygmy's post. What good are these items if they are not at hand when you
need them? And when I got lost in Sequoia NP, I had left my pack to
search for a campsite. Moreal to me:  keep these with me.

Also I think the neckcord should have some kind of break away link or be
weak enough that it cannot catch on something and strangle you.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>