[pct-l] Marked trail at The S. border..... and photos

Bill & Cathy tahoe.cat at verizon.net
Thu Jan 10 16:55:48 CST 2008

Nice Pic's Mike    Ground Pounder
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mike Saenz
  To: Pat Wormington ; pct-l at backcountry.net
  Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:21 AM
  Subject: Re: [pct-l] Marked trail at The S. border..... and photos

  I saw this thread, but deleted it without reading- assuming others have responded with accurate beta..

  The PCT, in Sections A, B and C is a broad boulevard. no marking or navigation skills necessary. Even in snow, the trail is easy to pick out with perhaps a short little piece where the trail passes through the San Jacintos between just below Tahquitz and Skunk Cabbage Meadow- I did this in snow and the terrain is fairly flat and the trees are spaced out enough so that trail disappears when covered. But the half mile to Saddle J hugs the drop-off. You can't get misdirected easily. But if there's no snow, that trail get so much use, it's just as obvious as the rest.

  Signage isn't really necessary either. But at most all the intersection, there are some fairly nice signs pointing the way.

  MAYBE the parts that cut through dry creek washes in the desert can disappear in the soft sand, but the PCT post markers are generally there to anticipate the difficulty. These are very few and far between in the first couple sections.

  I've hiked a lot of the trails in the Southern California mountains. The PCT is by far the most consistently broad beaten path. Particularly when it passes through the high use areas.

  In the areas where it's just the PCT, the trail follows the most obvious routes in and out of canyons and through ridges.

  I'm trying to compile all my photos from the Southern Terminus northward here:

  http://oilcans-pct-photos.blogspot.com/

  I have photos up to the top of Mission Creek in Section C. I just need to find the time post them.

  Cheers!

  -Oilcan

  Michael Saenz
  Associate Partner