[pct-l] altimeter

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Tue Jan 8 11:03:21 CST 2008

Good morning, Casey,

I carried an altimeter for all of the Oregon and Washington portions of the PCT, but not in California.  I have several altimeters, but the one I prefer is a Peet-88 analog model, which weighs 3.6 ounces.  It didn't make the cut for California because: 1) It's not really necessary, 2) The weight, and 3) I carried a GPS with the same .. but less accurate .. function for about the same weight.

Quite a few hikers use the digital wristwatch/altimeter combination and find them useful.  I owned an early-technology digital, and while I liked it, it wasn't as accurate as the Peet, and it died at a young age.  That was over 20 years ago, and I think the current technology is much more reliable.

Most altimeters, be they analog or digital, are really nothing more than aneroid barometers scaled to read altitude rather than pressure.  Since they are driven by the constantly-varying value of barometric pressure, they require frequent readjustment to whatever the current, local barometric pressure may be.  Their accuracy is only as good as their calibration and, on a many-day hike, calibration will depend upon the user finding a reliable altitude on the ground or from a map.

A GPS will usually calculate and display the altitude based upon Nav-Sat triangulation, but GPS altitude is generally not as accurate as a GPS latitude/longitude position.  Some high-end GPS models have a built-in aneroid barometer .. with the associated problem noted above .. as an admission that GPS altitude based upon triangulation is not very accurate.

As Jerry mentioned, an altimeter will help provide location on a topographic map, even when a compass sighting can't be made or when thick trees or a deep canyon preclude the use of a GPS.

If I'm bushwhacking through confusing terrain, as I often do, I carry 'topo maps, a sighting compass, a GPS and the altimeter.  If I then get lost, it's because of "cockpit error".

Steel-Eye