[pct-l] Missing hiker on the AT

RJ Lewis karmagurl at rainierconnect.com
Sun Jan 6 15:57:11 CST 2008

I read the story that way too, and that the perp had on a backpack with
2-3 day's supplies in it, so that he appeared to be a backpacker, also.
Crazy. And I had thought seriously about hiking the AT.

Being a gal and a solo hiker 99% of the time, I'm glad I decided on the
PCT for my first major thru-hike. And no, I don't feel less safe on the
trail hiking alone- I feel I have prepared myself adequately, and am in
no more danger than any other person, male or female, out there.  If it
is indeed my "time" to go, then it is, and having a partner isn't going
to stop that from happening. I absolutely love the freedom of not having
anyone else's time schedule but my own to adhere to, of keeping no one
else's pace  but my own. I can stop when I want, take pictures when I
want, and do as I please, without having to accommodate anyone else.
It's all rather nice to me. :) I guess to be able to do this one has to
be very comfortable in one's own skin.  I don't find being alone for
days on end lonely- I actually really enjoy it and find lots of things
to occupy my time.

OK..enough rambling for me now...have a terrific week everyone...and
lets keep cabin fever at bay!!!! Spring will soon be here.....Whoo Hooo!!!!

KG