[pct-l] thru hikers

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 17:37:16 CST 2008

I know no amount of speaking out about the unbelievably bad behavior of some hikers will change anything.  But I had to say how amazed I am that you are still willing to take in hikers after all that abuse.  Thank you for not giving up on the group as a whole!  I'm so glad that you have set limits to protect yourself and your home.  There's bad apples in every segment of the population- but most of them aren't guests in your home!!!  I never understand people that are less than respectful and grateful for all the angels do for us.  For those hikers, a verbal thrashing is in order!

Looking forward to meeting you.

Wheeew

Andrea Dinsmore <zaqueltooocool at gmail.com> wrote: I had to giggle when I read your post. When we started hosting hikers we had no idea how many were out there. We figured 10-12 hikers each year....hey no problem. Once the word gets out......they will come. We had all the hikers staying in our house. (except Billy Goat...:) he likes it outside) Hard to make them sleep out in the rain up  here.15 hikers for about 5 days in a row inside was our top number. We had no room for us. So we have now almost finished the hiker loft. Should sleep 15....some in beds...some on the floor. They can still tent outside if there's more. We have had to discontinue the use of our new kitchen due to abuse by the hikers. Also, the hot tub in now off limits because of repeated damage. We love the hikers and do a lot for them but just remember this is your home and you need to set limits. We end up with between 175-250 a year coming through. Most stay here and some stay in town. I collect stuff for
 the hikers all year and try to have everything here they might need to fill in the needed supplies for them to finish the last leg of their trip. You will end up trying to adopt most of them. It make for a huge close family. Enjoy.

 PCT MOM