[pct-l] hikin' the hardpack

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 16:57:56 CST 2008

I always let Ma Nature do the work for me. I tried to get at the passes no earlier than late morning. Easy travel.

Anytime where you have to use crampons and an ice axe, it is going to be more difficult IMO than just a simple walk, even with some postholing. Plus even the lightest weight
crampon is ~ 1lbs 3 oz (according to the company website). That's about 8 Snicker bars! :D

Of course, a really light option used by some crazy trail running types may just work for you. ;-)
http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Having a powerdrill and sheet metal screws mailed to Kennedy Meadows may be a bit unusual however.

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com