[pct-l] Before there were water caches and Trail Angels

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Jan 2 23:16:48 CST 2008

Bighummel the WagonMasster writes: There were several Trail Angels even in the early 1970's, surprising enough, some annual that knew hikers were coming through and the word was passed from year to year, others spontaneous, on-the-spot, like the two brothers in Sth Calif. at a small store, who bought me candy to "help me walk all of those miles".
It all seems almost like a dream, now, thirty years later.
Switchback replies: Yes, you youngsters in more civilized times have some neat memories too.  We pioneers who were out on the PCT over 38 years ago remember grizzles, BigFoots, and renegade Indians attacks.  We got our water from retreating glaciers from the last Ice Age.  No problem.  I remember hiking with John Muir, Galen Clark, Norman Clyde and others.  They were cool.