[pct-l] ? about TP and boxes

virgil virgil at baloney.com
Wed Jan 2 22:09:52 CST 2008

On Wednesday 02 January 2008 7:10:03 Len Glassner wrote:
> I'm considering resupplying along the way, instead of mail drops.
> After all, why mail myself 500 packages of Ramen, when I can buy it
> along the way and save the postage?

  One thing to consider is that depending upon where you are from, food can be
a lot more expensive on the west coast.  Certainly everyone I've encountered
from the midwest and southeast complained about how expensive it was.  Kurt
Dirty asserted it was much cheaper for him to buy and mail food from Wis.
than to resupply enroute.

> How do the on-trail resupply veterans handle the following?
>
> !. When one is forced to mail resupplies to the smaller stops from a
> 'full' resupply location, from where do you source the mailing
> containers, aka boxes?  I would think USPS flat rate boxes are a bad
> deal for the relatively short mailing distances.  Maybe rummage behind
> grocery stores?

The flat rate boxes arent that good a deal if its only one zone, but the USPO
does have reasonable sized boxes -- big enough for ~6 days for me, for a
dollar and change.

> 2. Toilet paper - Don't recall seeing single rolls for sale all that
> often.  Buy a 4-pack, keep one and toss the rest? (I'm not bouncing
> it.)  Pine cones are not an option.

I never bought TP; hiker boxes and more commonly, if my town stop meant
staying at a motel then I felt no qualms about taking the roll from the room.

--
"I came into this game for adventure - go anywhere, travel light, get in, get
out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

Robert De Niro as Harry Tuttle in Brazil.