[pct-l] OT - PCT IRC Channel

Patrick Beggan meta474 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 15:17:58 CST 2008

Well, the usual reasons are related to pirated software. One of the
largest distribution mediums of pirated movies, music, software is
bots on IRC, second only to Usenet. IRC when used for purposes like
that (as well as pornography of various legal and illegal flavors) is
the reason its persona non grata with major hosting companies. No one
wants to support bandwidth for such illicit purposes.

but IRC used solely for conversation is a danger to no one. And just
like e-mail, the ultimate safety comes down to the self awareness of
the users -- if someone you don't know tries to DCC (send) something
to you, just like if you get an e-mail with an attachment you don't
recognize, simply don't accept and you'll be fine.

It also helps to stick to small, easily policed networks like
irc.xkcd.com or irc.foonetic.net -- less users means less chance for
abuse. I've frequented rooms on irc.xkcd.com for awhile now and
haven't had any problems with anything illicit, its just conversation.