[pct-l] Water Caches

Patrick Beggan meta474 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 12:47:15 CST 2008

A fair point, I suppose. I know all about regulation and how to draw
attention to yourself invites it -- It's one of the first unwritten
rules in the Army. However, well, I'll go ahead and be honest -- I
would like to carry less water when I thru-hike in 08. :P

But in all seriousness I guess it is a delicate issue. However, most
people sure do like the caches. I've been in arid environments before
and I'll tell you availability of water has a very direct impact on
attitude and morale. I think the benefit of these caches goes beyond
simple prevention of dehydration and makes the trail actually more
enjoyable.

Even with the increased risk of regulation that leaving water caches
invites, I still say leave the situation as it is. This is something I
would risk regulation for. What's the worst they can do, make water
caches against the rules? That's what many people are suggesting in
this discussion anyway. :)