[pct-l] quilts

Eric Payne vaporjourney at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 20:45:22 CST 2008

When I refer to the wasted fabric of a sleeping bag, i am referring to the
backside as well as the hood, both of which are eliminated in quilts.  The
back of a quilt is always worthless because you are lying on the down,
compressing the loft completely, causing the back to offer no additional
warmth.  The only warmth underneath you is caused by the sleeping pad.  A
quilt is usually made so that it tucks under your body a bit to eliminate
drafts, but there is certainly a few inches where there is no down or
fabric.  There is no hood, and you get warmth by using the insulated hat you
are probably already carrying, and perhaps a lightweight (~1 oz) balaclava.

The quilts I use are the Nunatak Arc Alpinist (www.nunatakusa.com) in the
winter, and JacksRbetter Shenandoah (www.jacksrbetter.com) in the summer.
The Arc Alpinist is a work of art, and custom made for each order.  You can
request an extra ounce of down fill, select fabric and color, and so much
more.  These quilts even have a footbox that completely wraps around your
feet and lower legs, and are very lofty.  The Jacks r better quilt is much
more simple, not quite as nice, no true footbox, but fine for the humid and
toasty nights in the east.  If it's a bit chilly, I just wear my windshirt
in addition to it.