[pct-l] Musical instruments

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Feb 29 21:50:18 CST 2008

Back when I was in college at UOP in Stockton, CA, my friends and I used
to take weekend trips up from Yosemite VAlley to Merced Lake, or Little
Yosemite Valley and environs.  On one trip when we camped one night at
Merced Lake I brought out my recorder, the medieval flute type
instrument.  I'm pretty good, having played it since I was four years
old.  We were sitting around in the dark, sipping, smoking, and
socializing.  I pulled out my recorder and started playing my heart
out.  I could hear minor echos across the lake.  After a couple minutes
of playing, right in the middle of silence that speaks, someone across
the lake shouted out, "Shut up!!!"

Within a half second three or four other voices from camps around the
lake - not echos - shouted their own version of shut up.  My friends
thought this was hilarious, as they were too polite to tell me to knock
it off.  Just be sensitive...

Jeff, just Jeff...