[pct-l] PCT and AT.......What's the difference ??

Daniel Bailey greenhiker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 17:51:02 CST 2008

In my experience on the AT in 2005, the towns in the South were not
impressed with hikers.  The further North you made it, the more people knew
about how far you'd come and what an accomplishment it was.

What do Trail Angels on the AT do?  It all varies and I've heard many
different stories.

My first experience with trail angels was in Georgia where I received a coke
and a bag of chips from a couple that driven four hours (each way) to meet
thru-hikers on the trail.  They'd drive down on Saturday, sleep in their van
and return home on Sunday.  Another example, up in Connecticut, was a
gentleman who had been reading my journal (and a few others).  When I got
close to his neck of the woods, he sent me an e-mail inviting me and two
friends of my choosing to stay the night at his place.  He was super busy,
but made the time to drive 20 miles to the trail to pick us up and drop us
off the following morning.

Then there are the countless hostels that I stayed at.  I'll never forget
the kindness of Doug Peoples at Kincora Hostel in VA or Miss Janet's smile
in TN.  Some hostel owners were a little more withdrawn, but most were
friendly.  The proprietor of the 501 Shelter wasn't the nicest guy and
actually called up ahead to warn another hostel owner of a "wave of
partiers" coming up the trail.

I think this is one of the ways that the PCT varies from the AT.  There
aren't as many hostels on the PCT (or shelters).  It's a different trail,
I'm looking forward to that aspect of the hike.

The difference in towns?  Some of the towns in the Southern Part of the AT
were big (Hiawassee, GA and Franklin, NC for starters), though they
definitely got smaller as I got further North.  I can't speak for much of
the towns on the PCT...I live in Portland, about 40 miles from the PCT.
Cascade Locks, which is East of Portland, is right on the AT and is a small
town.  It seems to be growing a little, though it only has a smaller grocery
store, an ice cream / espresso shop, a few gas stations, and a couple
restaurants.

As for the difference in terrain and camping?  I've only hiked on the PCT in
Oregon and Washington.  The trail seems to be similar to VA, as do the
camping sites.  With the exception of the rock sections of the AT in
Pennsylvania (North of Duncannon), most of the AT seemed to be similar in
terrain.  It became warmer as the summer grew longer.  Weather on the AT,
overall, seemed to be more humid than here in the Pacific Northwest.  I
wouldn't say that it rained any more or less or that it was any hotter.
I've never hiked in chaparral or the desert, so I cannot speak for the
terrain/weather in California.

Be well,

Senator

PCT MOM wrote:
What is the difference in the PCT and the AT ?? I've seen hundreds of pics
and heard stories about the PCT but never heard anything or seen pics from
the AT. Are the towns different. Are camping places different ?? What do
trail angels do out there ?? Compared to the PCT what is the weather and
terrain like ??

PCT MOM