[pct-l] Idyllwild Trail Days

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Fri Feb 29 12:47:04 CST 2008

Folks,

A Trail-Days like event on the PCT?  Come on, this isn't the AT.  Is this what this discussion is all about?  The need to have a party?  I, for one, would be highly opposed to such an event and would simply plan around and avoid such an event when I thru-hike again.

ADZ seems to attempt to serve multiple purposes.  While the organizers seem to focus on providing support to current year thru-hikers, there is a larger percentage of non-current-year people in attendance if I am not mistaken.  It's a party to celebrate the trail, to reunite with old friends.

Anyone that has done any preparation at all for thier thru-hike will not learn much at the ADZ.  In my opinion the ADZ is better attended by folks that are considering a thru-hike or section hike in the future as they can talk with past hikers, check out gear from a select group of cottage industry gear designers, and check out the videos from past thru-hikes.  Oh, and did I say party?

I can't imagine camping with a dozen people or seeing 50 people at the Saufley's, but that solitude was what I was seeking in 2006.  We all have the ability to change and manage our hike.  I do believe that the ADZ event does create some artificial overcrowding and that the event organizers seem unwilling to acknowledge, but as others have said, we are all big boys and girls and are responsible for our own hike.

But, please, not an up-trail Trail-Days like event.

From: "Bob Bankhead" <wandering_bob at comcast.net>

But any potential location must have public transportation readily available between it and a major airport like LA or San Diego.

What is available to/from Idyllwild?