[pct-l] ADZPCTKO: how it used to be

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 28 19:58:03 CST 2008

All this talk makes me wonder about a few things: did a "herd" exist before the ADZPCTKO, did ADZPCTKO change the nature of the herd, and if ADZPCTKO were to disappear, what would the herd end up looking like?

Since the ADZPCTKO has been around for almost 10 years now, it's hard to remember what life was like before it came along.  I thought it might be interesting to go back and look at pct-l emails from around that time that described how things were then.  I pulled several snippets from 1999 leading up to the first ADZPCTKO and planning for the second one.  The first ADZPCTKO had about 20 thrus and section hikers in attendance, some of whom caught rides from other places on the trail to be there, so it wasn't skewing the herd's behavior much at the time.

Below are quotes I found interesting, with some brief commentary on my part marked with ***.  It's kind of long, so feel free to skim it or delete it if you don't care.  I'll summarize my conclusions (based on these quotes and much more reading which I didn't include) first before I get to the quotes.

The overall picture I get is that before ADZPCTKO, people generally started in the three weeks between the middle of April and early May.  The peak tended to be around the end of April and dropped off pretty sharply after the first week in May.

The dates of the ADZPCTKO were chosen to match the already-existing peak thru-hiker flow, though part of the intent of ADZPCTKO was to create a bigger, more concentrated group than had previous existed in order to foster camaraderie and promote safety in numbers.  There was certainly an expectation that many people would have been starting on ADZPCTKO weekend anyway but that others would move their start dates to that weekend in order to attend.

We know that ADZPCTKO attendance grew explosively in the first few years.  Total thru-hiker numbers also grew significantly during that time but not as much, which indicates that ADZPCTKO succeeded in its mission to cause a bunching effect.

However, ADZPCTKO only shifted people within a narrow three week range.  If ADZPCTKO suddenly disappeared, there would almost certainly be some natural spreading out of start dates but they wouldn't spread very far.  The curve would still build gradually from mid-April to a peak at the end of April and then an abrupt drop-off in early May . . . in other words, the same curve we had before ADZPCTKO.

Reading the archives from the past couple of years, it's pretty clear that people are becoming aware of the herd problem and many people are opting to start early and shuttle back to ADZPCTKO to avoid being part of it.  Not many people start after ADZPCTKO, partly because you can start early and still attend ADZPCTKO but it's harder to start late and be there, but also because May rapidly becomes undesirable for starting.  So even with ADZPCTKO's influence, the start date curve is trending back toward how it looked before ADZPCTKO, though still with a sharper-than-natural spike on ADZPCTKO weekend, and still with far greater numbers at each point on the curve because there are many more thru-hikers attempting the trail.

Someone recently said that the PCTA has been issuing about 500 permits per year in recent years.  Let's assume that even without ADZPCTKO, roughly 80% of those people start in the traditional three-week window (educated guess).  Assuming they spread out totally evenly, that's about 20 people per day, every day, for 21 days.  However, we know that there was a curve centering on the end of April even before ADZPCTKO.  How much of a curve?  No one knows, but to make another educated guess, let's say about double the average, so 40 people.  People have reported seeing roughly 60 thrus arrive in Warner Springs on the busiest day in recent years, so we might expect 40 people but actually get 60.  In other words, in my speculative model, ADZPCTKO accounts for roughly a third of the wave.  The other two-thirds would have been there regardless.  Obviously, with so many guesses going into this formula you could make the numbers say whatever you want them to say, but it seems likely that ADZPCTKO is a significant but minority contributor to the problem.

As with most arguments, there are the two extremes and then the truth is somewhere in the middle.  Yes, ADZPCTKO has changed things.  No, it didn't change them radically.  Yes, if ADZPCTKO  were to go away the herd would get somewhat more spread out.  No, the herd would not disappear entirely.

Eric

*** Even before the very first ADZPCTKO, people were already arranging rides to the KO from wherever they happened to be on the trail.