[pct-l] Let's Hear From The 2007 Thru Hikers...

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Thu Feb 28 18:30:04 CST 2008

But I thought the number of hikers that any Trail Angel can accommodate
at one time was not the issue at all, but of the threat of quotas and
trail town impacts...

If the real reason to do away with ADZPCTKO is to minimize the size of
the pulse of hikers walking into Agua Dulce, then that's a whole
different discussion altogether!

And a problem that can be easily addressed without having to stop
ADZPCTKO.

No offence or insinuation intended Donna, but your reasons for shutting
down ADZPCTKO went from damage to the trail, to damage to the
environment (LNT), to possible quotas imposed by Cleveland NF, to trail
town perception of PCT hikers. Is it now the impact to Trail Angels'
ability to accommodate large numbers of hikers? You mention that a
ADZ-like event be held further up The Trail, suggesting KM. So the two
Trail Angel homes affected would be yours and the one near Anza (I
forget who that was, I didn't visit on my way through and I haven't
heard from that location in this thread).

I dunno. Stopping ADZPCTKO seems like an extreme (and unpopular)
solution to any one, or all, the issues raised above.

Just an honest observation. No malice intended. No questioning your
dedication and contribution to The PCTA and Thru Hikers.

Just as you cannot "get your head around" the idea of the effect
ADZPCTKO is not in conflict with LNT, I cannot get my head around any
idea that ADZPCTKO is somehow detrimental to The Trail, and those of us
who hike it. I see so much good in the event, from so many angles, that
I think the value the event has far and away exceeds any possible
negative effect, if any it may cause. And yeah, it's a ton of fun too!

Michael Saenz
Associate Partner

MVE & Partners, Inc. | Architecture + Planning + Interiors
Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu

1900 Main Street, Suite 800 | Irvine, California 92614-7318 | T
949.809.3388 | www.mve-architects.com <http://www.mve-architects.com/>

  <http://www.mve-architects.com/>