[pct-l] what to do about adz

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 28 17:12:22 CST 2008

Nobody asked my opinion, but then I didn't ask anybody
else to repeat their arguments from previous years...

I still think the best idea for somebody who is NEW
to the PCT or to long distance hiking or is
NOT LOCAL to the Pacific coast...
is to arrive in San Diego on Wednesday, travel to
Lake Morena on Thursday, get an early ride to Campo
on Friday and hike back, take in ADZ on Saturday, and
start north on Sunday, with all the other people in
the same boat.    In union there is strength.

Intentionally section hiking southbound
off and on since 2001, and observing the flow in the
other direction - I think the trail crowding is
manageable; the impact is on civilization around the
trail, from post offices to angeling to caches.   That
is not so much of a LNT issue as something else.
The same issues arise on El Camino de Santiago
(except the caches) which isn't wilderness by any
stretch of the imagination.

But persons who've done the PCT before or who are
somewhat local have plenty of opportunities to learn
about and to do
something different and they should act upon them.
And I bet most of them do.

If I had a chauffeur I'd be inclined to get a ride
from Lake Morena to Kennedy Meadows on Sunday, then
hike south to Campo, then get a ride up to Ashland
and hike south to Kennedy Meadows... and from there,
go to Manning and hike south to Ashland.     I'd see
the North Cascades and the High Sierra at better times
than through-hikers usually do.    And I'd meet all
the northbound through-hikers several times, however
briefly.

But as it is I have a full-time job and no chauffeur
and so I'll just hope to stay on my ten-year section
hiking plan!

And as far as underwear goes, I wear running shorts
with liners for shorts, underwear, and swimwear.
Being synthetic they are very light, non-irritating,
and they stink.    Hot water and bleach is not
recommended for long life of the fabric, but it does
take care of the stink for a few days.

David Hough