[pct-l] ADZ

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Feb 28 12:55:51 CST 2008

I have Greg Hummel's email address blocked, so I am responding to his post
on top of yours, Jim (this isn't a response to you, but to Greg).

Greg:  I have never once said that the ADZ is a threat to the TRAIL beyond
the violation of Leave No Trace principles, which to me is ethically wrong.
I have stated that it is a threat to HIKERS, who will be the losers if quota
systems are imposed, or if they lose services along the trail because there
are too many of them for some businesses to handle. It is my concern for
hikers and their needs that I have continued to raise this issue.

I am actively involved in the PCTA (in fact, recently returned from their
annual "Hike the Hill" event by invitation and on my own dime), and I am
well aware of the numerous other threats to the trail.  Your insinuation
that I am unaware of these issues is part of the ongoing rudeness that you
have exhibited, and one of the reasons I block your email.

You entirely have missed the point, but that doesn't surprise me.  It also
doesn't surprise me that after all these years, you are still not willing to
consider the impacts your event has caused, although there has been many
independent sources relating the issue to you. It is why I left the ADZ
organizing committee -- at the time I originally raised the issue you didn't
even want me to mention this issue to the other members of the committee,
which is why I quit in disgust. You also said that I was outright wrong
about there being a "herd", and that the issue was because we couldn't
handle the numbers at Hiker Heaven (and you were wrong on both counts).  As
to your personal attack below, I simply consider the source.

Donna Saufley
a.k.a. Lightening Rod, a.k.a. L-Rod