[pct-l] Mosquito Net

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Thu Feb 28 10:05:07 CST 2008

JJ,

I 2006 (a heavy snow year), we encountered dreadful numbers of skeeters just 6 miles north of KM.  We had very few skeeters in the Sierra due to the snow, but began to encounter them again north of TM below the snow line.  Tahoe was saturated with the biting fools and Oregon they were like attack squadrons coming in over Pearl Harbor.

My protection?  100% deet, headnet, a heavy dusting of trail dirt and walking at "moss1" speed (just faster than they fly).

Jeff

From: "montypct" <montypct at gmail.com>

Hey JJ !!!
You were at K Meadows in 2004.
That was the last place I saw you.

The first mosquito area I've ever had was Crabtree Meadows, but not on a thru hike.

It still had enough in 2004.
Last year they were bad enough to deet it up.

The worst were Rae Lakes 2004 and 2007
You didn't need to carry food.  You were constantly eating and breathing mosquitos.  Clouds of them.

Next Section
About a days hike north of Tuolumne Meadows you cross a river.  Boulder hop.  There's a big flat camping area that holds three or four groups.  Fire rings and all.  Just before a big climb. 2004 my friend Christy and I were glad we had tents.

>From there north was the longest stretch of mosquitos.  There's a mosquito pass or Mosquito Lake or both.

The worst part of that whole section 04 and 07 was Dorthy Lakes.  Getting up into the higher elevations near Sonora Pass the mosquitos went away.  I've never had mosquito problens north of there.

Monty