[pct-l] Time for the Annual "Why I Boycott the ADZ" Message

cvano at tmail.com cvano at tmail.com
Wed Feb 27 23:55:12 CST 2008

There seem to always be two sides to every argument; left right, night
day, republican democrat, hot cold, etc.  Somewhere in the middle is the
answer in most cases.  Lucky are those few who can see both sides and
come up with a solution.
So here again hiking equates to sailing.  A boat show (kickoff) is lots
of fun with all the new boats, $10 hamburgers, latest gadgets, and cute
young girls with painted toes, and you can mingle and nosh with
thousands of your comrades.  The real adventure is not at the boat show
(kickoff) however.  It comes a few hours after you untie the dock lines
(days after you start hiking).  It comes when there is no land or other
boats (hikers) in sight.  It comes when you are alone in the universe;
an island unto yourself.

Boat shows are spread out throughout the year in different places,
mostly during the shoulder season.  No one wants to give up a good
weekend of sailing for a boat show, but they all want to explore, dream,
talk about and discover the new possibilities associated with their
chosen sport.  And spend lots of money and party and have a good time
with others of like mind.

Travel and distance will always be a problem for some.  It is for me.  I
was very fortunate to attend an AT mini-ruck in Portland recently.  No
it was not PCT or JMT specific but I learned, met people, and had fun
nevertheless.  Several people showed pictures and talked, we ate, then
spent the night in a new friends house where I was made to feel very
welcome.  I would love to attend the kickoff this year for next years
hike but time, travel and finances won't allow it right now.  That's why
I went to Portland instead.  There were even Triple-Crowners there!
Sorry, no answers here, just rambeling a few thoughts.

Almost nobody sails into or out of a boat show but you do use the
products you bought and the skills learned there.  Boat shows and rucks
afford the opportunities to meet famous authors within our circle like
Bob Bitchen and Yogi.  You can learn things from the likes of Cap'n Jack
and Switchback, both of whom have forgotten more things nautical and
wilderness respectively than I will ever know.

Boat shows have a place in sailing as rucks do in hiking.  They are
essential to each other, perhaps not at the same time, but then again
sometimes they may be.  I choose to sail and hike alone most of the time
but I also enjoy the get togethers.  There must be an answer.  The boat
show people found it and are making big money from it.  The problem is
that most of the hikers I've met thus far don't have that kind of
money.

So here's a word that I hate.  Comprimise.  It means that nobody wins.
Then again, everybody gets half of what they want, so everybody wins
half.  Move the kickoff north and later, or earlier to either coincide
with the crowd getting there, or have it in the off season.  We could
attend in the winter instead of arguing on line or getting frostbite.
Advertise far enough (a year) in advance that people can plan to attend
and still do their hike.  Or just hit the delete key.....

It's not the Mountains that we conquer,
but Ourselves.  Sir Edmund Hillary 1919-2008

Ol' Three Toes aka Chris
S/V Drifter ~~~_/)~~~
Anacortes, WA.