[pct-l] Message #12 "bugs" on the JMT

William A. Chavez wctrekker at dslextreme.com
Wed Feb 27 20:11:26 CST 2008

Hello,

On the JMT we found that there were "bugs", mosquitos and black flies
primarily between two points: Happy Isles and Whitney Portal. The
numbers ranged from clouds to a few handfuls. Wetter and lower
elevations there were more, higher and dryer there were less.
sometimes we could only get away from them when we got into our tent
for the night. The "numbers" were incredible around meadows, lakes
and ponds.  If it got windy or rainy there were fewer of "them." We
were not the most experienced so maybe that played a role on our
trip, we loved the trip by the way.

We also tried flaying our arms, running, screaming, head nets, deet,
REI Jungle juice, Skin So Soft, swatting, slapping and cursing, by
the way we loved the trip.

Bill