[pct-l] 2008 PCT thru hike Blisters

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Wed Feb 27 11:44:11 CST 2008

Another view re: thru-hike blisters...

In 2006, I was able to make it through my entire through hike without a single blister.  Some of my observations were;

Pre-hike training - I hiked nearly 400 miles in the 2 months prior to leaving Campo.  All mileage was completed in the same type/model shoe that I used for my entire hike.  This allowed me to fine-tune shoe-size, lacing techniques and the decision to use or not to use additional inserts.  I believe it also did toughen up the feet a bit and allowed my body to understand what it meant to hike 20+ mile days.

Socks - Find a type of sock in advance that you are comfortable with.  For me it was the double layer Wrightsox.  Very thin double layer.  I carried 3 pair on the trail and changed three times daily.  These 3 pair usually lasted about 500-600 miles before I replaced them.  Talk about how the trail changed my life; today, Wrightsox are the only sox I wear.  I even figured out that I can buy the dark grey and wear with my business suits!

Shoes - If you can afford it, replace your shoes when the shoe begins to deteriorate.  I used Brooks Trailrunners (still my favorite trail shoe) and I bought 5 pair in advance of the hike.  Rather than wait for the shoe to deteriorate badly which can definitely create abnormal wear and blisters, I decided to change out more frequently.  Well worth the cost.

Foot care - Take time to care for your feet on trail.  Soak them at every opportunity and wash the dust and debris off whenever possible.  With all the water caches along the trail, you should have no problems keeping your feet clean!  Just kidding folks, don't get fired up!  Seriously though, while Switchback may go overboard with pedicures and such, the idea of proper footcare is critical.

Just a few random thoughts.

Elevator