[pct-l] Time for the Annual "Why I Boycott the ADZ" Message

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 17:20:51 CST 2008

>First and foremost, having a starting event that attracts hikers to start on
or around a specific date is against Leave No Trace principles

Hi Donna
I agree on the LNT issues.
Preserve and Protect.
In the last three years Donna has brought this to the attentiion of the PCT community she has influenced a major shift in the hiker's patterns.  Hikers, including myself, start at a wider range of dates more each year in spite of the Kick Off being just one pin point on the calendar.

Last year I think the top of the bell curve were here in Warner Springs the day before the Kick Off.  Things were busy up here.  The hikers were more spread out than I've ever seen them.  The ones who wanted to easily made it to and from the Kick Off.

If you are looking for a way to start earlier than the Kick Off yet still be able to attend it this can now be done. Just check the Kick Off website next month.  You should be able to find rides and other help you might require.  You can find other help there too and not even attend the Kick Off.

Warner Springs Monty