[pct-l] Time for the Annual "Why I Boycott the ADZ" Message

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Feb 26 13:44:12 CST 2008

This message is aimed at PCT-L newbies, and this year’s thru-hike hopefuls.
Those of you who have been around a while already have heard this, so please
don’t read further and just delete now.  It’s same old message being
repeated, but each year there is a new audience.  On this issue I believe
that I not only have the right, more importantly I have the responsibility,
to share my view.

Another note:  though our opinions don’t necessarily match, like Scott Parks
I am willing to stand up and take the heat for having a view that is
contrary to the mainstream.  Long-distance hikers are as a whole blessedly
non-conformist, some just more than others.  I’ll use the quote that Jim
Payne posted yesterday by Gen. Patton, "If everyone is thinking alike,
someone isn't thinking."

So here’s our reason for boycotting the event and publicizing our view:

First and foremost, having a starting event that attracts hikers to start on
or around a specific date is against Leave No Trace principles which state,
“Schedule your trip to avoid times of high use.”  “Visit in small groups
when possible.”  “Consider splitting larger groups into smaller groups.”
HYPERLINK
"http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles.php"http://www.lnt.org/programs/prin
ciples.php

Long-distance hikers and event organizers are not exempt from following LNT
principles.  The ride share program has done little to diffuse the “Herd”
effect the Kick-Off creates, as most hikers start within a week of the event
so there are two huge waves.  Consider these numbers taken from the ADZ
website archives HYPERLINK
"http://pct77.org/adz/official_story.htm"http://pct77.org/adz/official_story
.htm :

Year

Hikers

Type of Record

1999

24

attended

2000

62

registered

2001

no data

2002

84

attended

2003

139

registered

2004

201

registered

2005

145

registered

2006

248

registered

2007

285

registered

Note that records were not kept with any consistency in what was tallied,
and are not entirely comprehensive.  Known organizers are omitted from the
’99 and ’00 tallies.  In ’06 and ’07 section hikers were broken out, though
they hadn’t been previously.  The type of section that section hikers were
hiking and when is not evident; they are all included in the total here.

There is a way to have an event that does not violate LNT principles.  I
advocate having the event further up the trail and later in the season at a
location that is central, like the legendary Trails Day in Damascus, VA on
the AT.  This would avoid creating “The Herd,” as it has come to be called
by allowing hikers to start when their schedule or the snow melt dictates,
rather than targeting a start dates to attend the ADZ, which is what
literally hundreds of hikers are doing.  Further north, Lone Pine, Bishop,
or Mammoth would be perfect with lots of trail heads to pick up hikers to
shuttle them to the event.  Everyone could have their reunion party, shower
love and magic on the hikers, and make information and vendors available to
them.  A bonus is we could meet up for hikes in the Sierras.

The argument posed for having a starting event is to help hikers get over
their jitters, and to provide resources and information to them.  But
consider this:  if you need your hand held, are afraid to be alone, haven’t
already done your research and need information spoon fed to you upon your
arrival, aren’t ready to start with pre-tested and appropriate equipment,
maybe you should think again about starting a 2,650 mile wilderness hike.

The truth is that nothing gets you over what you fear more than doing what
you fear.  The very best way to get over your starting jitters is to do your
homework, practice and prepare, and then START HIKING.  Starting with a huge
group of people is simply wrong for the environment, and will ultimately
lead to permit quotas and increased regulation as seen on other trails.  We
have a chance to prevent (or at least forestall) this from happening.  It is
a fact that officials from the Cleveland Nat’l Forest are already aware and
concerned about the huge number of hikers starting north, and the specter of
a quota system implementation has already been raised.

So, Jeff and I love you all, and we will miss seeing you all when you
gather. Our doors open for all of this year’s hikers (whether you choose to
attend the ADZ or not).  But we won’t be at the Kick-Off.  We will be at the
PCTA’s Trail Fest  HYPERLINK
"http://www.pcta.org/trailfest08.asp"http://www.pcta.org/trailfest08.asp
where you can get tons of information about the trail and how to hike it,
see all of the latest equipment, hear directly from the experts, and support
the non-profit organization with a mission to protect, preserve, and promote
the PCT.

L-Rod & BuzzSaw

Hiker Heaven, Agua Dulce

Checked by AVG Free Edition.