[pct-l] Walking 10,000 miles 12,000 years ago!

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 12:00:21 CST 2008

 >>"Archaeologists had tended to believe that paleo-Indians would have
needed millenia to walk from the north end of the Americas to the south."

Past tense, "had." So what's the current consensus?

Let's face it, modern day long-distance hiking has little in common with
the migrations of primitive hunter-gatherers. Gore-tex, grocery stores,
and big predator eradication have made us thru-hikers an alien bipedal
species, physically of sound constitution but without any survival
instinct that would dictate our staying put from time to time. Like,
say, for a generation or two.

- blisterfree