[pct-l] Hikers and their dogs

minnjohn1 at aol.com minnjohn1 at aol.com
Sun Feb 24 22:51:14 CST 2008

I've been reading about the hikers planning to take their dogs with them on the PCT. I just have to put in my $0.02 worth. Personnally, I wish they would leave their dogs at home. I like dogs. I grew up with an English Spaniel. He was a great friend to me. But, dogs are animals and I think many owners forget that. I have had dogs rush into my camp to greet me, run circles around my tent and pull up all my tent tie down lines in the process. Twice I have stepped in dog crap and once didn't notice until I was in my tent and settling down for the night. Several times I have had dogs "come at" me snarling and with raised neck hair as they and their owners were approaching me on the trail. Thank God they were on a leash. Of course, they are devoted animals protecting their owners. Its not really their fault - again they are just doing what animals do. So, I wish all you hikers who are thinking about taking your "friend" and "protector" with you on your hike would think about the other hikers with whom you share the trail.