[pct-l] bear canisters

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Fri Feb 15 12:02:20 CST 2008

"alright, what are we all doing for bear canisters, re: rental,
pick-up/drop-off points....
kennedy meadows to toulane meadows? kennedy to red meadows? what makes
sense?"

Hi Moondog.  I've been wrestling with this too.  I own a Garcia, a BV200,
and an Ursack (no aluminum liner), and my wife and I use the right one or
two of those depending on the particular trip we're doing, but it does seem
a bit baffling as to what to do here.

Given Warner Springs Monty's post on this topic to the 2008 list a couple of
weeks ago, plus some kind input from Jim Payne about using the BV200 despite
it not being a legal canniester in the 28 mile Rae Lakes stretch, my current
plan is the following:

*	No bear or rodent proof container at all from Campo to Kennedy
Meadows, just sleep with my food
*	Receive my BV200 bear can in the mail at Kennedy Meadows
*	Out of KM, use the BV200 and possibly bear bagging as well.  Perhaps
only need to fit four days of food in the BV200 because bear bagging is
sufficient for the first 47 miles
*	As of mile 749 (47 miles out of KM) all must be in bear can up to
mile 780
*	From Forester Pass (mile 780) to Pinchot Pass (mile 808), for the
night(s) that I sleep within this 28 mile stretch I must camp at and use
bear lockers on the trail.  This is the "Rae Lakes" zone where the BV200
isn't a legal cannister.  It is a legal cannister everywhere else.   There
are a lot of bear lockers in this zone, however, about nine right on the
PCT.
*	Ten miles into this zone at about mile 790, I'll leave trail to go
to Independence to resupply, zero, debauch
*	I'll have to hitch to trailhead and then do a 9 mile climb just to
get back to the PCT.  So I'll definitely have to find a bear locker that
night, ergo . no need to worry about putting everything in the bear can in
Independence.
*	I'll have 18 more PCT miles of this zone after I get back on the
trail, so . might or might not make it out of that zone by the end of the
next day.   Should only therefore need to fit maybe 3 - 4 days of food in
the actual bear can, as my next resupply is at MTR (Muir Trail Ranch)
*	Everything should fit comfortably in the bear can from MTR to
Tuolumne Meadows, as I plan to stop at Reds Meadow/Mammoth Lakes.
*	For the 57 miles from Tuolumne Meadows, mile 941 or so, to Dorothy
Lakes Pass, mile 998, cannisters are now required throughout.  My plan is to
leave Tuolumne meadows with 5 - 6 days of food; a tight fit for a
thru-hiker's caloric needs, but do-able, especially given that much of the
first day's worth of food doesn't need to be in the can
*	At Sonora pass going to Echo Lake I'll fit as much as is reasonable
in the can, bearbag for maybe one night if necessary
*	At Echo Lake I'll mail the bear can home and receive my Ursack as a
replacement that I'll use the rest of the way (for convenient protection
against rodents as well as ursus minor)

 Sorry for the lengthy details, but I'm hoping that if any experienced
thru-hikers spot any flaws in this plan (in the context of the various
regulations in place today) that they'll offer feedback.  For example, at
one point I had thought about carrying both BV200 and Ursack, but I almost
get the sense that the SIBBG would rather have people bear bag than use an
Ursack, so I'll save the 9 oz.

            Brian Lewis