[pct-l] Quality gear for less.

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Fri Feb 15 09:36:02 CST 2008

Good morning, Good Times,

The lightest, most fashionable, least expensive, trouble-free, and highly-appreciated piece of gear is the one you decide you can leave in the store and hike without.  It's too early to know if crampons and/or an ice axe are advisable, but so far SoCal snow is about average.  If you think you want crampons, try screws in the soles of your sneakers.  Clothes?  Go to the Goodwill or Salvation Army store and find a pair of running shorts and a poly tee shirt.  You could also probably find a poly-fleece pullover and maybe a thin, light windbreaker jacket as well.  After a few days on the trail big-name logos and fashion nametags become rather meaningless, anyway.

Food cost me about $11.  per day, either delivered from home or purchased locally, but that excludes trail town pig-outs.  Probably the biggest question is the extent to which you become addicted to zero-days in hotels, lodges, and resorts.

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Join other hikers at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^