[pct-l] Mariposa with Bear Vault?

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Wed Feb 13 21:41:46 CST 2008

Carrying a bear cannister on top:
I've got a Mariposa Plus and tried this out last year.  I think that with
something that itself attaches firmly to the bear can and can in turn help
hold it in place on the pack, it will work fine.  You can buy a nylon cover
for the Garcia that works great (adds about another 3 oz) and that's what
I'll be using, since my BV200 isn't allowed any longer in the Rae Lakes
area.  For other cans, like the BV, I think something like two nylon straps
with something like a D-ring or the like might be enough.   Just something
that will reliably hold the bear can, and which in turn can be secured to
the pack.

I wouldn't be comfortable just putting a relatively frictonless bear can
under the 'Y' strap of a Mariposa pack and assuming it would stay in place.
Inevitably, it would go rolling off just as you're tiptoeing along the edge
of a lo-o-ong dropoff somewhere.

	Brian Lewis