[pct-l] Adding Weight to Pack for Training - Seattle

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Feb 11 13:36:19 CST 2008

Walking with your pack on supplements gym work. Try to stay off pavement as much as possible so your ankles get used to the rocking and rolling motions they'll face on the trail. Great time to break in new footware too.

Start with an empty pack; add gear slowly to build up the weight. I also fill my Platypus bladders with water so that if I get too tired on a walk, I can always dump the water rather than gear. It also gives me something to drink along the way. You can use any sealable container; the key point is the ability to dump any or all of the weight as needed.

Water weighs 2.2 pounds per liter so:
2 liters = 4.4 lbs
3 liters = 6.6 lbs
4 liters = 8.8 lbs