[pct-l] Which cellphone company?

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Sun Feb 10 21:48:42 CST 2008

"Does anyone who's done at least all of CA's PCT have a report on how often
their company's phone had reception?"

Recall from discussion two weeks ago that cell companies no longer have to
provide analog cell service as of 8 days from now (Feb 18th).   This doesn't
change anything you hear about Sprint or T-Mobile, because (from the last of
the three links below) "... they have built their services from the ground
up as digital- rather than analog-entities."

But should we be leery of relying on even recent past experience about AT&T
or Verizon? I'm a little hazy on that; my phone is a GSM phone on the AT&T
network, so I have only been getting digital.   Thus perhaps this is not an
issue in evaluating coverage reports from recent years in general.

Very hard to do a true and objective apples-to-apples comparison at any
rate.  When I spent some time looking at the coverage maps last year, I came
away thinking that AT&T and Verizon looked better in a scattering of
close-to-PCT zip codes that I punched in, but it was certainly not an
in-depth analysis, and who knows how well those coverage maps relate to the
level/quality of service actually offered.

Anyway, some links about the Analog sunset thing on the off chance it does
relate:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/raskin/17134

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wireless/?p=171

http://blog.tmcnet.com/regulations/mobile-and-wireless/fccs-analog-cellular-