[pct-l] Early April SOBO from Walker Pass? - Shuttle Plan?

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 20:27:19 CST 2008

>SOBO from Walker Pass around April 3rd.

Cold.  Did this one May 1st.  I was grateful for firewood at McGiver's Cabin.

Robin Bird was also cold at night. Kelso Valley Road cold and windy.  Windy rain on my way into Tehachapi.

We had high enough water and warm enough weather, i was able to hop into a creek before Robin Bird Spring.

Check with trail angels along the route to see if they will take in hikers yet, and for their knowledge of the trail and water conditions.

>>I'm hoping for cooler weather in the desert sections

You'll probably get your wish. Dress warm at night.
>>Also, will the water caches be stocked by then?  If not, can I count on the springs to be flowing?

Email me a week before you go and I'll call a friend in the area about the caches (most likely good right now).  Then check www.4jeffrey.net right before you go.  montytam at gmail.com

Springs?  A REAL good chance on McGuiver and for sure on Robin Bird.  plus possibly water in between.

Golden Oaks Spring??? May be, maybe not, maybe slow, may be work to get your water.

When you get to Tehachapi, please do us all a favor and email in water info to the www.4jeffrey.net site or post on the PCT-L and it will find it's way to the site.  Also check the 4jeffrey site for updates from Tehachapi.

There's free computers ant the Library and at KMart inside the door to the right.

 Would snow in late April impede my getting
as far as Big Bear City?

Yes.  Post the question again next month.  Baden Powell............... I think Donna Saufley in more qualified to answer that question.

She knows of ways around too.

>>Have yet to figure out how to get back to Walker Pass

Greyhound from LAX to Bakersfield, or just fly since you're already in that mode.  , Kern Regional Transit from Bakersfield to Lake Isabella and hitch or take a little bus to Onxy then hitch to Walker Pass.

Long hitch from Lake Isabella to Walker Pass but straight thru.  Just did it and I'll do it again this year to resupply.  I like the town.

Warner Springs Monty