[pct-l] Early April SOBO from Walker Pass? - Shuttle Plan?

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 10 14:51:07 CST 2008

My plan has been to hike north from Campo on April 3rd and hitch back to
Lake Morena for Kickoff.  With all the snow in the mountains, even in
southern California, it looks like I need a contingency plan.  I already
bought my airline flight for April 1st. The early start is due to the
need to take about 3 weeks off the trail to return east for weddings.

The contingency plan is to hike SOBO from Walker Pass with some of my
AT06 thru-hiker classmates beginning around April 3rd.  I'll head
southbound as far as Big Bear reaching there around April 23 from whence
I'll head on down to the Kickoff.   After the Kickoff, I'll hike NOBO
with the "herd" to Big Bear and use public transport connections to LAX
to fly back east the week of May 20th for the wedding.  This would
involve 21 mile hiking days, so I'm ramping up my full-pack training
hikes toward that goal to be in shape when I hit the trail.

When I get to Big Bear, I'll check the Kickoff ride board for
possibilities.  The fail-safe plan is the MARTA "off-the-mountain" bus
to get to San Bernardino, then hop on the Metrolink light rails to LA
then San Diego (via a combination of light rail and Amtrak).  SanDiego
to kickoff via bus.  The web sites indicate this is do-able, but anyone
have personal experience on any of these transport modes?  Would I have
any problems with my pack?  Making connections?

Any comments/recommendations on trail conditions weather between Walker
Pass and Big Bear during April 3-23 time frame?  I'm hoping for cooler
weather in the desert sections, but not sure that will be the case.
Also, will the water caches be stocked by then?  If not, can I count on
the springs to be flowing?  Would snow in late April impede my getting
as far as Big Bear City?  Would I need an ice axe?

Have yet to figure out how to get back to Walker Pass from LAX on May 27
when I return from the wedding.  Any ideas?  Maybe fly over to Inyokern?
or take a bus to Mojave then the Crest bus to Inyokern and hitch back to
Walker Pass?

Any and all ideas appreciated.

Handlebar
.