[pct-l] Trekking pole tips

Daniel Bailey greenhiker at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 14:07:06 CST 2008

Brian,

> *       Is a trekking pole tip a one-size-fits-all sort of thing, or are
you
> talking about brand- and even model-specific replacement parts?  Having
read
> about this before I tried last week to see if I could buy replacement tips
> to keep in my bounce bucket, but found nothing on the manufacturer's
> (Komperdell) site about this.

The tips are usually sold by brand.  As far as I know, Leki poles only have
single type of replacement.  It looks like Komperdell replacement tips can
be found at
http://www.gearforadventure.com/Komperdell_Vario_Flex_Tungsten_Carbide_Tips_p/komcarbide.htm
for $12.10.  If that link breaks, try http://tinyurl.com/3dd6nh.

Once they're worn down, you start actually wearing on the column of the pole

rather than the tip.  In the AT in 2005, I made it from Georgia to Delaware
Water
Gap (approximately 1100 miles?) before I really needed to replace the tips.
The
length of replacement varies on what type of surface you're hiking on.  My
trekking
pole tips lasted 2 years before the AT because I was hiking on dirt trails
in the
Columbia Gorge and up near Mt. Hood.

> *       I presume some special tool(s) and perhaps expertise is required
> replace the tips, i.e., that you're not just obtaining a part but paying
for
> someone to do the replacement?

The only tool you'll need is a pair of pliers.  When installed, the tips are
fairly secure,
but will twist off if you use pliers.  Sometimes it helps to have somebody
pull
on the pole while you twist the old tip off.  To "install" a new tip on, put
the
new tip on the end of the pole and then push the pole/tip combo into a solid
surface.
This will fully seat the new tip onto the end of the pole.

> Looking just now at my trekking pole tip I see a smidge more than 1/8"
> length of metal tip, and my wife's poles (with which she's walked a lot
> fewer miles) look about the same.  I can't imagine that after just another
> 900 miles or so that this would wear away, but is it actual wear ---
> literally grinding the tip down to nothing --- that you're talking about?

Yep, it's actual wear.  If you think about a few atoms/molecules of whatever
the tip
surface is wearing away with each strike, they'll eventually wear away
completely.
Like I mentioned earlier in this post, soil won't cause much wear and tear
because
it'll simply be displaced by the tip, but rock won't give way as easily and
will
grind away a few atoms/molecules at a time.  This would be simliar to the
way
that glaciers carve mountains and rivers carve canyons.  I.E., slowly but
surely.

Be well,

Senator

Brian Lewis wrote:
I've never had to replace trekkiing pole tips.  I'd appreciate feedback from
those with experience on this, in detailed form .

*       Who cares if they're dull?  I don't need particularly sharp tips,
the tips inherently have a small striking surface area.   Are you talking
about something that ultimately leads to the tips breaking or actually
failing in any way?

*       Is a trekking pole tip a one-size-fits-all sort of thing, or are you
talking about brand- and even model-specific replacement parts?  Having read
about this before I tried last week to see if I could buy replacement tips
to keep in my bounce bucket, but found nothing on the manufacturer's
(Komperdell) site about this.

*       I presume some special tool(s) and perhaps expertise is required to
replace the tips, i.e., that you're not just obtaining a part but paying for
someone to do the replacement?

Looking just now at my trekking pole tip I see a smidge more than 1/8"
length of metal tip, and my wife's poles (with which she's walked a lot
fewer miles) look about the same.  I can't imagine that after just another
900 miles or so that this would wear away, but is it actual wear ---
literally grinding the tip down to nothing --- that you're talking about?

TIA ---

           Brian Lewis