[pct-l] Trail Mileage

Bob BobandShell97 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 7 17:13:24 CST 2008

>unless you walk with a wheel

No, Scott, not even then.  I was responsible for measuring a section of A.T.
for 15 years and measured with a wheel repeatedly... in toto several times,
then before and after relos, etc.  Careful and nit-picking as I tried to be,
I always found there would be a several foot difference even in short
sections.  I would turn around and measure back the other way and have to
average the two readings.  Do you go around this rock?  Which way?  Or over?
Stepping over this log, what's the most accurate way to measure?  I had a
friend who had a small wheel, as used in measuring indoor tracks, etc, as
opposed to the larger wheel I had on loan from the F.S.  He always got
longer readings than the larger wheel did (which I feel is more accurate.)
His smaller wheel made a big deal out of every little bump.

Anyway, I'm agreeing with your main premise: "Perfection is unattainable,
but a noble pursuit."

Dr Bob