[pct-l] PCT Atlas - Clarification Please

Lon Cooper loncooper at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:14:39 CST 2008

Brian,

I use a Garmin GPS, and Garmin software called Mapsource to view/edit
my GPS data. I then save the data as a .gpx file that is imported into
NG TOPO! to make the printable maps on pctmap.net.

When I say the log distance is 75.3 miles, that is the distance I see
in Garmin Mapsource when I open the track log. When the data is
converted to a NG TOPO! route it shows an even shorter distance...in
this case 73.8 miles. I have found NG TOPO! consistently reads shorter
than Garmin Mapsource with the same data. I always use the Garmin
software for distances because I think is more accurate. The only
thing I do in NG TOPO! is print and create labels on the maps.

If anyone is interested, you can download the gps log file and TOPO!
file (for the Border to Scissors) I have been discussing here:

http://www.pctmap.net/pctdownloads/scissors_test.zip

I am not sure it really matters if a 100 mile section of the PCT is
100 miles or 98 miles, except as AsABat suggest for clear
communication in things like the water report. It gives me confidence
in both my data and the Databook that they agree as closely as they
do.

-Lon
AKA Halfmile