[pct-l] Mt. Hood Snow Photos

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Wed Feb 6 22:56:45 CST 2008

Good evening, All,

This morning I drove up to Mt. Hood to visit Timberline Lodge and the see the snow in the area.  I took some photos, but they are not the best becasue it was overcast, windy, and snowing with the visibility somewhere between 20 yds. and 1/4 mile, in fact I couldn't even see the Mt. Hood while I was standing on it.  There was snow on the ground the entire 25 miles from my home (1,290 ft.) to Government Camp at the Rt. 26 pass (4,000 ft.), but I didn't have to install the tire chains until 2,500 ft. elevation.  Timberline Lodge is at 6,000 ft. and the PCT passes close by, only about 100 ft. higher.  The PCT crosses Hwy. 35 at Barlow Pass, which is at 4,200 ft.

I don't have a site where I can post photos, so I added a few of them to the bottom of the photo list on my '07 PCT TrailJournal site:  http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

The local weather-guessers say there will be 2-3 ft. more snow tonight and tomorrow.

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Serious hikers gather at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^