[pct-l] Time required for PCT hike

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 17:23:01 CST 2008

A *rough* rule of thumb for most AT veterans is that if you did the AT in 5 mos, you'll do the PCT in ~4+ mos.

Or, if you hiked 15-20 MPD on average on the AT, you'll do the PCT at ~20-25 MPD.

So, is 100 days doable on the PCT? Sure.

But, I'll be frank:  If it took you 150 days to hike the AT,  with similar gear that you plan on taking on the PCT (i.e. about the same weight), then you may find that
a 100 day hike on the PCT is less than fun.

Are you willing to do a marathon a day or more?

If you can, try to get another 20-30 days to do the trip.

Not that you can't do a 100 day hike on the PCT, but it may be harder than you suspect.

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com