[pct-l] RE CDT question

Marcia gottawalk at pacbell.net
Wed Feb 6 11:31:21 CST 2008

Thanks. We met The Onion in Livermore, now that you mentioned him,

Tapon's CDT yo-yo show last night was very interesting. His base weight is 5.5# He had snowfall 20 out of 30 days in CO, hiking  1000 miles on snow. No extra clothes or heavy jacket. In the snow self-photos it looked like his jacket was the GossamerGear rain jacket. He walked to stay warm. We saw a couple of photos where he was wearing his sleeping bag. His rain gear was a GoLite umbrella that was also sun protection. Whew, I had conflicting opinions!

He lost his sleeping pad . The trail provides... he found a Hustler mag and used that for a pad. He pointed out that it was dual function (entertainment), too.

Maybe we should look at gear the other way. Not "what do I need" but "what do I HAVE to take". The answer there may be clothes on back and food. Remember Tapon was the one that hiked sobo on the PCT without a sleeping bag for a week in the snow?

Just take a hike..no gear. TIC

Shall I leave home without it when I
...GottaWalk?