[pct-l] fuller ridge question

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Wed Feb 6 09:54:15 CST 2008

There can be two challenges on Fuller Ridge.

The first (which applies to much of the Tahquitz and San Jacinto area) is
navigation. On the map cited, you may find deep snow in the bowls such as
the one between the Seven Pines and Fuller Ridge trails, and along the PCT
due west of Little Round Valley. If no tracks are visible you will spend
some time navigating, as the trail undulates a bit in that area. Also note
that just because you find tracks does not mean they are going the right
way - they could be lost, as happened a couple years ago when one lost PCT
hiker followed another lost hiker's tracks to their camp.

The second is exposure. Once the PCT crosses to the north side of Fuller
Ridge (about 8600 feet), there will be more snow on a steep side slope.
Care must be taken here. When snow and ice are present, ice axes are
usually advised. Even without snow, take care as fallen leaves may cover
icy patches.

It is still early to predict conditions, but there's lots of snow right now.

AsABat