[pct-l] Trekking pole snow baskets for Sierra?

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Feb 5 13:05:37 CST 2008

I use standard baskets for the packed snow encountered during the hiking
season in the Sierras.  The “powder” baskets are just that, for powder, and
chances are you won’t find any of that during nobo season unless you get
caught in northern Washington.   Instead I took my baskets off altogether,
to drive my (shortened) pole deep into the hardpacked snow.  I did this
technique in lieu of using an ice axe.

When I’m snowshoeing in fluffier stuff, I do use the wider powder baskets,
but personally I think they’d be useless on a nobo thru hike.

L-Rod

   _____