[pct-l] Need Thru Hike Partner

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Mon Feb 4 17:39:52 CST 2008

Kathi wrote:
> Hello Girlscout,
> I see this comment made a lot on the PCT-l and I have a question maybe
> you can answer. I know that once I am out hiking I will meet people and
> all that good stuff... and can't wait! But, I wonder what it is like
> those first few days? Do you generally meet people from the get go when
> you start at the border? Are your first few days alone and then you meet
> up with others???

this all depends on when you start. if you start way before or behind
the curve, then you'll meet fewer folks, maybe none for the first few
days. but if you start, say, anywhere between mid april and mid may,
you're gonna meet people, probably the first day. and if you start on
the adzpctko weekend (last weekend in april), you'll be right in the
middle of "the herd," and may actually wish for LESS company.

just one random example- last year i delivered a hiker to the southern
terminus, and, as usual that time of year, there was another hiker being
delivered by someone else at the very same time. they quickly introduced
themselves to each other and decided to set off together... and ended up
hiking almost the entire pct together, becoming extremely close friends
in the process. this is sort of an extreme example, but suffice it to
say that if you're looking to make friends and meet people to hike with
on the pct, you will have no problem whatsoever.

  I am planning for 2010 and this is something I always
> wonder. I know I will do much better with a loose organization of other
> hiking parters because I can be quite independent, but I am also a
> little bit of a chicken about sleeping outdoors by myself.

you'll get over this VERY quickly. trust me! more importantly, trust
YOURSELF! :)

cheers!
girlscout