[pct-l] Fwd: Re: Too Many People

G. Lowe aka Wheeew gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 08:58:24 CST 2008

"G. Lowe aka Wheeew" <gailpl2003 at yahoo.com> wrote: Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 06:57:52 -0800 (PST)
From: "G. Lowe aka Wheeew" <gailpl2003 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Too Many People
To: "G. Lowe aka Wheeew" <gailpl2003 at yahoo.com>

 In that last post, www.glencanyon.org should not have come after the "Stupidity" comment......bad choice of placement....

"G. Lowe aka Wheeew" <gailpl2003 at yahoo.com> wrote: No, no, no........this is strictly voluntary......unless of course you're a trail pirate that still lives at home with his Mom....

I don't know about any of that other stuff.  I'll have to take your word for it.  But I DO know that, according to recent reports, there are 36 states that are suffering a severe water shortage.  Guess what one of the main contributing factors to that is???  Dammed up rivers.............Good ol Ed Abbey, Uncle Ed, Cactus Ed, the Bard of Moab, was on to something looonnnggg ago, in his seething hatred of Glen Canyon Dam......and how it destroyed beautiful Glen Canyon too.  I don't know what we're  thinking.  Stupidity reigns supreme.  (See www.glencanyon.org)
And in learning about all this I'm also getting an education about David Brower, who I had not heard of, but did much to prevent dams being built in the southwest.  There's now a movement underway to take down Glen Canyon Dam.  I'm  thinking about joining it.

When will we accept that we're not smarter than nature???

Wheeew

"The canyonlands did have a heart, a living heart, and that heart was Glen Canyon and the wild Colorado".......Ed Abbey

Hiker97 <hiker97 at aol.com> wrote:    Wheeeeew writes: Actually, I was thinking the same thing about people.  If you spread  them out in their natural habitat, instead of stacking them all on top of each other in the non-sustainable, over-populated, heavily polluted cities, I doubt there'd be enough "natural habitat" to sustain us.  So who wants to volunteer to go first???  Sorry folks, there's just too many of us.  Open  season.......!!!!!
 Switchback replies: I hope you are not thinking of starting with Trail Pirates.  I know a lot of hikers who would do that, but I figure you are my pal and would not.  Say, I heard one time that there are more deer, bears, and trees in the continental US than there were when the colonist came over here from the old world.

 I think I could buy the first two, but I don't know about trees.  I think this might be true in the Sierras, since we control fires and trees have taken over so many of the old open areas/meadows.  When they  compare current pictures of different areas to the pictures of 100 years ago, trees are like weeds.  I noticed this too in AZ going up for the 12,633 foot Mt. Humphrey expedition.  Driving up to the parking lot, I noticed how the trees looked like weeds growing near the road.  Sad how we screw things  up for our human standards instead of Mother Nature's.

Who's never won?  Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL  Music.

-Wheeew-
www.trailjournals.com/wheeew/
---->MexiCan----> 2008

-Wheeew-
www.trailjournals.com/wheeew/
---->MexiCan----> 2008

Looking for last minute shopping deals?   Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.