[pct-l] maps

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Sat Feb 2 13:18:09 CST 2008

Jomike wrote:
"My aging eyes are unable to view the maps in various sections. My present
concern is section b. Does anyone know of trail appropriate, topo maps with
larger print?"

I printed out the free demo of the PCT Atlas maps and just tested these out
in a stretch of section A (Campo to Mt. Laguna), and found that my aging
eyes could read these fine, whereas --- I agree with you that sometimes some
key print on the PCT Guide maps is challenging to read.

I don't know if PCT Atlas maps will be available beyond NOB mile 78 in time
for a 2008 thru-hiker.  The site claims it's coming out "spring, 2008".
http://pctatlas.com/

These aren't purely "topo" maps, though topo details are given (in lighter
print).  You could augment with the JMT map pack for that stretch.  Another
solution is to by a Topo map software package, such as National Geographic's
Topo series, overlay the PCT trace (downloadable for free, though not
necessarily always perfectly accurate).  Then print your own maps, scaled to
how you like to see them --- you don't have super fine control over that,
but there are some options once you're printing out your own.

Finally, a set a drugstore reading glasses kept in a shirt pocket is always
a possibility ... !

	Brian Lewis