[pct-l] '08 Snow Levels

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sat Feb 2 09:32:15 CST 2008

Good morning, All,

One interesting point about the recent Pacific NW snowfall is the relatively high accumulation at the mid-altitudes.  The high passes and ski areas are getting a bunch, but the 1000 ft. to 4000 ft. band is getting hit extra hard.  Skykomish is a good example, and my home at 1300 ft. west of Mt. Hood has had a foot or so on the ground for a longer period than I can remember.  The PCT goes right by the Bull Run drainage northwest of Mt. Hood.  That area is monitored carefully because it's the City of Portland water supply.  It currently has about 350% of normal snow, while the Mt. Hood ski areas have "only" about 150% of normal.  Some of this will probably linger into the NoBo PCT hiking season, but it won't be a showstopper.  What it will do is delay, and/or significantly aggravate, this year's SoBo attempts.

I don't think anyone should panic over the Sierra snow levels .. yet.   The snow reporting site I prefer is http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/PLOT_SWC.2008.pdf  and it shows that the major drainages, primarily in the Sierras, are currently tracking on the historical average.  What to watch, as your NoBo departure date draws closer, is whether heavy snowfall occurs later in the season as was seen in 2005-2006.  The key point is where you project this year's curve will be in mid-June.

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Serious hikers gather at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^