[pct-l] Sierra High Route

Andrew Skurka askurka at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 15:16:41 CST 2008

Hi everybody, Happy New Year.

I wanted to send a post about the Sierra High Route, a seldom done 195-mile
trek that parallels the PCT/JMT.  If you are looking for a spectacular,
relatively short thru-hike option that is not the JMT, or if you are looking
to spice up a weekend- to week-long trip in the High Sierra, the SHR may be
worth looking into.  This is a truly superb route -- it's demanding in terms
of physical effort and backcountry skills, yet it's doable by those with
moderate experience; it has a very positive effort-to-rewards ratio; and it
showcases the majesty of the Sierra like none other.

To date there has been little information readily available about the SHR.
A guidebook was published by renowned climber Steve Roper, the route's
developer; but it left the SHR still adventurous and mysterious, perhaps
somewhat intentionally.  Thankfully the information gap has shrank, and I'd
like to think that the SHR is more accessible now.

A few key links are provided below.  If you have additional questions I'd be
happy to answer them as best I can if you send me an email.  Good luck!

Guidebook - Sierra High Route: Traversing Timberline Country, by Steve Roper
http://preview.tinyurl.com/9jysgn

Sierra High Route Mapset and Databook
http://preview.tinyurl.com/7erurn

My SHR pictures and videos, plus hiking and planning advice
http://preview.tinyurl.com/96ujxx

Chris Willet's pictures, plus good route info
http://preview.tinyurl.com/7q2qv4

Backpacker Rocky Mtn Editor Steve Howe's SHR experience
http://preview.tinyurl.com/9ff39d

Wiki page
http://preview.tinyurl.com/7dwehd

Andrew Skurka