[pct-l] The Good Old Days of backpacking

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Dec 28 13:27:05 CST 2008

Yes Switchback,
At 130 years between the two of us, we must be the most experienced
backpackers on the list.
I mean we started backpacking many years ago, before the current crop
was even born.
I mean we started backpacking when backpackers were real mountain men.
I mean we never heard of Pepsi stoves, Fleece, Gortex, or Top Raman noodles.
Burlap underwear and 65 lb packs were the norm those days.
Grizzlies and Saber Tooth Tigers roamed freely on the PCT and we
survived by frying Grizzlies and Saber Tooth Tigers on an open fire.
Yes, those were the...''GOOD OLD  DAYS''....when mountain men were
mountain men and Grizzlies & Saber Tooth Tigers  were nervous.

Cough...cough...cough......OXYGEN!!!.....KAREN!!!.....I NEED
OXYGEN!!!....cough...cough...cough...

It's all your fault Switchback,...you get me all exited and cause me to
get an asthma attack.
I have had enough excitement for a while and will now retread back into
my usual lurker mode.

JMT Reinhold...the lurker.
.