[pct-l] Too much spare time - part 2

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sat Dec 27 01:57:47 CST 2008

Sugar Daddy wrote:
> Could you please be a little more through, Jim. We need the dimensions and weights
> of the Data Book and Yogi's Handbook as well, to make a good comparison, and
> don't forget to factor in the time spent cutting up the WP Guidebooks, Data Book,
> separating Yogi's book and making sure you get the right pages in the right resupply
> box. Plus the added cost of mailing those larger and heavier books, in larger, and
> therefore heavier, boxes.
>
> If you could also calculate the added time necessary to read all three of the first books
> in comparison to the PCT Atlas, so we would know how much sooner we need to
> stop at night to get them all read and still get to bed by hiker midnight. Of course that
> means less miles per day, which means more days to complete the hike, therefore
> more food to buy and more weight to carry, so you're hiking slower and taking
> longer.....am I missing anything here?   ;)

I'll do the dimensions and weights of the Data Book and Yogi's Handbook 'trail' pages in the morning (I don't have them with me at work tonight) - IF you REALLY want them.  ;-)

Time spent cutting up/separating WP Guidebooks, data Book, Yogi's pages: others that have experience doing that know better than I do - plus I don't plan on doing that since the PCT Atlas will be the only on-trail resource I will carry!

Added cost of mailing those larger and heavier books - again, others more experienced in that endeavor should know and be happy to share their knowledge.

Added time reading all three of the first books - that should be done in the 'off-season', not on the trail (rest will be more important while on-trail)...  Make notes of points that interest you, then transfer what you deem important into your on-trail resource...

I think you've hit upon many points to ponder/consider regarding what 'paper' you carry to know where you are located while on the trail...  For ME, the KISS technique works quite well!  ;-)

Happy trails!!!
Jim / PITA